Moonset on the Meseta

Moonset on the Meseta

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Caminho Portugués March-April 2014

On Tuesday, March 18, Kent and I will fly to Porto, where we will begin walking toward Santiago de Compostela on Friday, March 21, the first day of Spring.  We are making preparations to leave home behind, and carry as little as we can.  I have the Brierley guide, from which I have removed the pages covering Lisbon to Porto; an updated listings of albergues from the Via Lusitana Portuguese pilgrim association:  http://www.vialusitana.org/ and a link to them on my phone, which I hope to be able to use for internet access via wi-fi, as it won't work as a phone in Europe; some pages from the Confraternity of Saint James; and some information on the route from Santiago to Muxia and Finisterre.

I have a new U.S. passport, and we will pick up pilgrim credentials at the cathedral in Porto, as the ones we used on the Via Gebennensis would soon be full.  I have a new water-proof jacket and we have two new ponchos, as rain is quite likely.

Why are we doing this walk?  The Camino experience continues to beckon, and I remembered the scene from Martin Sheen's The Way, in which the French police inspector says he has walked the Camino before, and will do so again to celebrate his 70th birthday.  I thought, what better way to celebrate my forthcoming 70th birthday than with another Camino?

I will try to post brief reflections, news of our progress, and perhaps even an occasional phone photo during the next three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment